Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 4

#8: Bloglines

I created a Bloglines account and found many different forums and sites that I never knew existed before. It's amazing how everything that I enjoy reading online is now all in one place for me. No more search this and search that. I can just go to one place and there they all are. Check out my feeds:http://www.bloglines.com/public/Frog-Lady

There were so many good sites to choose from. I couldn't choose all of them or it would defeat the purpose! So, I chose at least 10 for now. I may go back and choose more if I come across something else. I'm an animal person, I like Harry Potter, scrapbooking, and I'm getting married. So, I figured why not choose something from all of those categories. I did a mix of different feeds for my bloglines and it's wonderful! I can check it everyday. I can get ideas for my wedding that I didn't know before. I can find new ideas for my scrapbooking. And I can even keep up with news from Harry Potter. It's amazing what a simple button click can create. If I had known about this years ago, I wouldn't have so many favorites listed on my computer.

I could use this not only in my personal life, but at work too. At work, there are many new technologies coming out, and with a simple news feed 'bookmarked' as one would say, it's easier to just click and read instead of going to google.com or yahoo.com and searching for information that could be right in front of you. Libraries could use this technique too. My thoughts are if the information desk receives a lot of questions regarding a particular topic in the news today, instead of searching online for an answer for the customer, there could be an RSS feed located on a main site that the librarians could use. With a simple click, they could make the customer happy by getting a swift answer. I don't know much about working behind an information desk, but I have been one of those customers who asks a lot of questions to a librarian.

No comments: